Dr Yuanyuan Chen received her honour degree in Nursing from Southwest Medical University, Sichuan, China and have three years’ work experience as a staff nurse in the Emergency Room, cardiology department, rheumatology department and department of diabetes, endocrinology and metabolism in Sichuan Provincial Hospital. She also received an honour degree in Mechanical & Material Engineering and PhD in the field of 3D printing biodegradable coronary stents from Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT), Ireland. She works as a research engineer in the Material Research Institute in AIT since 2018 in the field of biotechnology, plastic recycling, and plastic circular economy.
Her current research includes:
- Science Foundation Ireland, collaboration with Boston Scientific Galway in developing biodegradable stents.
- Irish Research Council, collaboration with University Bayreuth, Germany in developing spider silk reinforced biodegradable filament for biomedical applications.
- European Space Agency, in-situ production of cellulose from organic wastes for use in plants cultivation on a moon base.
- European Commission H2020 & National Natural Science Foundation of China, The Bio Innovation of a circular Economy for Plastics (BioICEP, IE:870292).
- Enterprise Ireland, collaboration with AquaRoot in developing biodegradable substrates for hydroponic systems.
- Enterprise Ireland, collaboration with Ashland Specialties Ireland Ltd. in removing residual monomers from polymer.